Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Vision

When I first became a licensed ZUMBA Fitness instructor, I wasn't sure I would ever even have the courage to teach a class. I went through the training because I dreamt of providing a quality fitness class that would make people excited about getting healthy. In ZUMBA classes, I saw the potential for people to feel good about themselves--the potential to realize that we are beautiful in our own skin, that we deserve to take time to take care of ourselves. I don't think I'll ever forget the moment when I had finished setting up for my first class, and suddenly realized that no one might show up. I had a shock of doubt about what I was doing. In the beginning, I taught plenty of one or two person classes, and even just packed up and went home when no one showed. I chose to keep teaching for the people who came though, and dedicated myself to continuing training to provide quality classes. Eventually my vision started to become a reality. More people started coming to class, and bringing their friends, and soon we were seeing numbers in our classes that far exceeded my first vision.

As more people started taking our ZUMBA classes, I started hearing the words I'd dreamed of, like this feedback from one of my participants: "I used to tell people I was destined to be overweight for the rest of my life because I love to eat/cook and I hate to exercise. I still love to eat- but now I love to sweat. It's hard to not smile through an entire class and I can't believe I've found something I 'crave'! The best part is being a role model for my daughters-that exercise is FUN!" I realized that we were ready to start offering new options for participants. I began to expand my training, and within two years was offering ZUMBA Toning classes, ZUMBATOMIC classes for kids, PiYo for those looking for a class to push themselves, Hoop Dance to encourage playfulness and creativity, and Yoga in various formats to give my participants the chance to experience more ways to care for themselves.

That first vision, of a class or two a week with a few people feeling good about taking care of themselves, has grown into sixteen classes a week with ten, twenty--sometimes even more than thirty people packed in to them! The need in the community for that first dream has driven Dancing Lotus Fitness to where it is today, and brought us to where we're ready for Dancing Lotus to have it's own home. I know that the Dancing Lotus studio will mean even harder work and dedication, but I am ready for that challenge, and excited about what the Studio will mean for the continuing vision of Dancing Lotus. There are moments when I look out at all of the smiling, sweaty people in front of me, and I'm shocked just like that first day when I realized no one might show up, but this time it's amazement at the beauty of what we've created--the spirit of each class--that takes my breath away. I can't wait to see that spirit carry us to the next level.

If you would like to help make the Dancing Lotus Fitness studio a reality, please consider voting for us in the American Family Dreams Contest, and contributing directly to our Capital Campaign on IndieGoGo. Asking your friends to lend their support is one of the best ways you can help us to succeed. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. I've reflected on that comment recently...I have a friend just died of a heart attack. I don't know if he could have improved his lifestyle--but I know I've come a long way to changing mine. Even though the pounds aren't flying off anymore, I've given myself a big pat on the back for the changes I've made. I've found you and zumba and I've completely changed my outlook on food. I feel better than I have in years- and my journey started with you!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a pleasure to have you as part of the family! I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. You should definitely be proud of the changes you have made. Thanks so much for being an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete